In This Issue:
- CEE Annual Conference – Top 5 Reasons to Attend
- AP Economics Teacher Bundle – Save $10
- New Common Core Alignment Tool
- Join the 11,000+ teachers registered for Gen i Revolution
- This Day in History
- Math and the Real World, Training of Writers Program – Applications Due September 17
- PwC-KWHS Seminar – Registration Open
Download the Newsletter
Download a PDF copy of the September 2013 Teaching Opportunity Newsletter:
CEE Annual Conference – Top 5 Reasons to Attend
Attend the 52nd Annual Financial Literacy and Economic Education Conference in Baltimore, MD, October 3–5, 2013 to keep abreast of the cutting-edge economics and personal finance topics impacting K–12 educators today!
Top 5 Reasons to Register
- Outstanding networking opportunities – meet with other teachers and learn how they’re tackling the challenges of economic education and financial literacy to K–12 students.
- CEE sessions and workshops (more than 125 to choose from!) provide actionable tactics that will help you drive financial literacy in the classroom.
- Hear from knowledgeable expert speakers with proven track records of delivering valuable insight and advice.
- Get certificates of completion that may be applied toward CEU requirements.
- Affordable registration fee includes all program sessions, pre-conference workshops, Awards Dinner and reception, and Teacher’s Luncheon.
Special Conference Hotel Rate—Act Now!
CEE has reserved a block of rooms at the Baltimore Marriott Waterfront Hotel. The special conference rate is available until September 18. Click here for reservation details.
AP Economics Teacher Bundle – Save $10
- more comprehensive 4th edition includes changes to the course outlines and tests since the last edition
- revised lesson plans with up-to-date examples
- macroeconomics and microeconomics separated providing a more intuitive structure and easier navigation of content
- free downloads of all visuals available
For a limited time, CEE is offering a special discount on the AP Economics 4th Ed. Teacher Manuals two book set. Order by September 30th and use coupon code APTM2 to SAVE $10.
New Common Core Alignment Tool
CEE has created a new tool to help K–12 educators align lessons with the widely-adopted Common Core State Standards (CCSS). The standards have been adopted by 47 states since 2010 and are part of a larger initiative to unify varied state curricula.
The CEE tool is designed to make it easy for educators to find lessons in mathematics and English language arts (ELA) that correlate to a specific standard in the CCSS. The tool aligns 77 mathematics lessons and 354 ELS lessons to the CCSS.
Click here to search our lessons and the applicable standards.
Join the 11,000+ teachers registered for Gen i Revolution
Give your high school students the chance to learn important personal finance skills in an engaging way with Gen i Revolution—a FREE suite of interactive online games!
Click here for video demos including an overview of the game along with player’s guide and mission guide.
Registration is fast and easy and FREE. Sign up today!
This Day in History
The Calendar of Historical Events provides 365 days-worth of historical facts and interesting developments in personal finance and economics. See what happened on this day in history, and use the related lessons in your classroom.
September 5, 1882
Union Leaders Get Their “Labor Day”
Labor Day, now a well-known holiday observed throughout the business world, began literally as a day to honor laborers.
September 6, 1900
Speedy Electric Car Hits The Track
In 1900, long before the days of the modern hybrid vehicles, Andrew Riker’s electric car set a speed record on a five-mile track in Rhode Island.
September 7, 1997
Get Rich Quick Stays Rich
The Millionaire Next Door, a guide on how to become rich in the American economic system continues its run at the top slot on the New York Times Business Best Seller list.
Math and the Real World, Training of Writers Program – Applications Due September 17
The Council for Economic Education is seeking dynamic math, economic and personal finance educators to participate in the CEE Math and the Real World, Training of Writers program.
The program is scheduled to take place in St Louis, MO., December 11–15, 2013. Participants will be expected to engage in intensive writing activities before, during, and after the workshop and will be required to field-test the lesson they develop in local classrooms. The program requires a commitment to complete lesson writing assignments and field testing between November 2013 and June 2014.
Click here for program overview and application form.
PwC-KWHS Seminar – Registration Open
PwC US and Knowledge@Wharton High School (KWHS) announced that registration is open for the third PwC-KWHS Seminar for High School Educators on Business and Financial Responsibility. The professional-development opportunity targeting educators, principals, administrators and superintendents from the eastern United States, will be held at the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, Oct. 25–27. Educators interested in applying may do so through the online application process.